Flourless chocolate cake
( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Chocolate is a no-brainer, we all love a moist chocolate cake with lashings of cream. This is a rustic-looking cake, so don't freak about any cracks when removing it from the tin. Fabulous for the gluten-free chocolate lovers also. Chocolate and berries must be one of the best combinations in the dessert world, so if you have some on hand they are a nice addition for serving.
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line a 22cm tin.
- Place the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl over simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally until it is melted and smooth. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Place the egg yolks and half the sugar into a bowl. Beat until light and creamy. Beat through the orange zest.
- Add the chocolate to the yolks and stir well.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then slowly add the remaining sugar beating until combined and glossy. Fold a little gently into the chocolate mixture, then continue to add the remainder.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin before removing.
- Serve with softly whipped cream.