( SERVES 4 )
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Smear it with crushed garlic and season well with black pepper.
- Place chicken in a large plastic bag and pour in buttermilk.
- Shake gently until chicken is well coated. Refrigerate for 24 hours, turning occasionally
- Preheat oven to 190C and line a roasting pan with baking paper. Place a rack in pan.
- Remove chicken from marinade, pour off any excess and place on the rack.
- Season with more pepper.
- Place on a low shelf in the oven. Bake — basting occasionally — for about 1¼ hours, until cooked.
- Loosely cover with foil if chicken starts to brown too much.
- Great served topped with avocado mashed with lemon juice, combined with chopped coriander, diced tomato and chilli.