Roast vegetable and farro salad
Farro - a type of wheat - was a major food of the ancient Romans.
- Wash farro under cold water. Place in a saucepan with water. Cover and bring to the boil. Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes or until cooked. The grains should be slightly chewy.
- Meanwhile, peel and seed pumpkin. Cut into pieces roughly about 3cm x 1cm. Thinly slice fennel bulb. Cut red onion into 8 wedges. Seed and cut capsicums into cubes.
- Place pumpkin together with garlic, fennel and red onion in a large roasting pan. Drizzle with about 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season and toss. Roast for about 10 minutes.
- Turn vegetables over, then add capsicums and roast for a further 10 minutes, until tender.
- When farro is cooked, drain off any remaining water. Season and toss with lemon juice and a little olive oil.
- When vegetables are roasted, cool slightly then sprinkle with vinegar and combine with farro. Finely chop herbs and spoon through.
- Best served at room temperature. Great as is or served with roast chicken.