Chilli chicken omelette
Photo by Tamara West
When I make this omelette I like to get the egg nicely browned on the bottom so the toasty flavour comes out, I find it goes particularly well with the chicken that way. Be generous with the soy and chilli if you want to amp up the flavour intensity, this works well as a bold dish.
- To make this quickly, start by heating two small non- stick frying pans.
- In the first pan, place ½ tablespoon of the olive oil then the chicken followed by pepper and chilli powder. Stir to mix then let it cook while you get going with the egg.
- In the second pan, add the other ½ tablespoon olive oil then pour in the beaten egg. Tilt the pan so the egg evenly coats the bottom then let it cook and brown on the bottom while you finish the filling. I like to keep the heat fairly high but you need to get a feel for your stove and pan, checking that the egg is browning but not burning.
- Revisit the pan with the chicken in; it should be hot by now. Add the soy sauce, lemon juice, tomato and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes until soft.
- At this point the egg should be mostly cooked but still a little runny on top. Spread the chicken mix over one half of the egg (the hot chicken will finish cooking the top of the egg), then fold the other half on top of the filling. Sprinkle with a little more pepper and chilli.
- I like to serve this on a plate with a bit of sliced avocado and tomato waiting. Eat while fresh and hot.