Fresh herb and honey chicken
For me, one of the most satisfying and rewarding moments of a roast chicken is the first taste of the skin. The ingredients for this recipe will produce a deliciously rich, caramelised skin and fragrant roast meat. Allow a minimum of 2 hours for marinating, overnight is even better.
Fresh herb and honey marinade
|⅓ cup||Fresh parsley, finely chopped|
|⅓ cup||Fresh mint, finely chopped|
|⅓ cup||Fresh coriander, finely chopped|
|¼ cup||Orange juice|
|3 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|3 Tbsp||Grapeseed oil|
|2 Tbsp||White wine vinegar|
|2 tsp||Fine salt|
|1.6 kgs||Chicken, whole or pieces|
- Mix all marinade ingredients together.
- Butterfly the chicken by cutting out the backbone using kitchen scissors or a knife.
- Place the chicken in a large plastic ziplock bag with the marinade and seal closed.
- Massage the marinade into the chicken and repeat every half hour.
- After 2 hours heat oven to 180C, remove chicken from the bag, drain off excess marinade and cook flat, bone side down in a roasting dish for 1 hour.
- Use a pastry brush to baste the roasting juices over the chicken every 20 minutes. Test chicken is cooked by inserting a knife into the thickest part of the leg, when removed the juices should run clear.
- Carve the chicken, dividing the thighs and drumsticks, slice the breasts and arrange on a platter or serve directly on to plates, serve with ruby grapefruit, avocado and rocket salad.