Minute steak sandwich
( MAKES 1 )
Students who have hours of study ahead of them at exam time need something nutritious to get them through until dinner. Even those who think they can’t cook will find they can manage to make themselves a steak salad sandwich which will provide protein and grains and nutrients from lettuce and tomato.
See nutritionist Mikki Williden's advice on meals to serve to fuel your kids properly for exams and see her breakfasts for busy school days.
- Place the piece of steak on a large square of plastic wrap on a clean board and gently hammer it out to 3mm thickness using a meat mallet.
- Toast the wholegrain bread in the toaster.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan to high heat and cook the steak, turning once, for 1 minute each side.
- Spread some mayo on a piece of toast and place the lettuce, tomato and gherkin on top. Add the steak on top of the salad. Season with some salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add a little mustard or tomato ketchup to the second slice of toast if you like, then place it on top. Cut sandwich in half.