Creamed spinach and silverbeet
Liven up a simple steak or chop with Warren Elwin’s yummy vegetable side dishes.
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|½ Tbsp||Nutmeg, freshly grated|
- Make a white sauce by heating milk and cream with ½ an onion, a bayleaf, cloves and peppercorns.
- Finely chop the remaining ½ onion, and cook very gently in butter, don’t let the onion colour. Add flour and cook out.
- Strain the hot milk on to the flour mix and whisk to combine.
- Gently cook the sauce for 5 minutes, and add nutmeg and salt to taste.
- Trim the leaves from silverbeet, and steam along with spinach until wilted. Cool and squeeze out excess moisture from the greens. Finely chop.
- Combine the greens with the white sauce, season to taste with lemon juice, and bake in the oven. Serve with a big juicy steak or lamb chops.
Check out Warren's other yummy vegetable side dishes