Porterhouse with bearnaise sauce
- Rub steaks with crushed garlic. Sprinkle generously with black pepper. Stand in a cool place while preparing sauce.
- Combine wine, vinegar, shallot, parsley, tarragon and black pepper in a saucepan. Simmer until reduced by two-thirds. Cool then strain.
- Whisk egg yolks in top part of a double boiler. Place over barely simmering water.
- Whisk in strained wine. Slowly whisk in butter until light and fluffy.
- To cook steak, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy frying pan. Cook steaks about 3-4 minutes each side for medium-rare. Rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Top each steak with bearnaise and serve remainder on the side.