Pearl barley and brussels sprout salad
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
For a substantial fresh salad, try mixing pearl barley with a few interesting ingredients. Cook the pearl barley in chicken stock to add extra flavour. Make sure your brussels sprout are cooked through, and add dates for a surprising twist in texture and taste. If there is any left over, this is a great salad to pack into a lunch box for work.
|1 cup||Pearl barley|
|3 cups||Chicken stock, or vegetable stock|
|200 g||Brussels sprouts|
|1||Red onion, sliced|
|2 stalks||Celery, sliced thinly|
|2 handfuls||Kale, stalks removed, leaves finely shredded|
|1 cup||Dates, chopped|
- Place the pearl barley in a large pot with the chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until it is soft but still has a little bite. If there is liquid left drain it, but most will have been absorbed.
- Cook the brussels sprouts in boiling water for 3 or 4 minutes, drain and cut in halves or quarters.
- In a pan heat the butter and oil. Add the onion and celery and cook for 2 or 3 minutes until just soft. Add the sprouts and brown slightly.
- Place the pearl barley, sprout mix, kale and dates in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the orange, mustard and olive oil in a small bowl. Pour over the salad. Mix well and serve.