Kiwifruit butter (jam)
( MAKES 5-6 small jars )
Photo by Tamara West
Always nice to use the kiwifruit in different ways and it works so well with cheese.
- Wash the kiwifruit and Granny Smith apples. Roughly chop into even-sized chunks, skins and all, and place in a large saucepan.
- Add ginger, the lemon and orange zest and juice, rosemary (tarragon or lemon thyme) and bay (or kaffir lime) leaves.
- Place over a medium heat and simmer the mixture until it is soft and pulpy. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and pass through a sieve (discard the solids) into a clean saucepan.
- Add caster sugar and white wine vinegar. Simmer mixture over a medium heat, stirring often for about 20 minutes or until it thickens and becomes jam-like.
- Pour into small sterilised jam jars, seal and store in the pantry. Refrigerate after opening.