Hapuka steaks with julienne of vegetables
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
These meaty hapuka steaks are succulent and juicy on the bone, and delicious with a light cream sauce - just not too much! With a nod to the 80s, I've served these layered with delicious, crispy potatoes and lightly cooked vegetables. These, of course, can be served on the side and you can vary the mix of vegetables. Fresh asparagus, when it arrives soon in our supermarkets, would be a great addition.
- Set oven to 200C.
- Place sliced potatoes on an oven tray. Pour over the oil, season with salt and mix well. Spread evenly over the tray. Bake for 20 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the leek, carrot and yellow pepper. Saute for 5-8 minutes, until soft and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside while you cook the fish.
- To the same pan add the fish steaks. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes each side or until just cooked through, depending on the thickness of the steaks. Remove from the pan.
- Add the cream, wine, mustard and zest to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
- On each plate spread a layer of crispy potatoes and mixed vegetables, and top with steak. Spoon over some hot sauce and a sprinkle of parsley.