Coffee ice cream with poached tamarillos
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Tamarillos are still at their best, so I am enjoying them while they last. Lightly poached in a sugar syrup and served with ice cream is one way to eat them. Otherwise you can enjoy them on your breakfast cereal or in a crumble.
- To make the ice cream, place the cream and milk in a pot. Heat slowly to simmering point, then remove.
- Place the yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric beater. Beat until light and creamy in colour.
- Slowly add the cream mixture to the yolks while whisking until combined. Add the coffee and mix well. Place in a bowl and allow to cool completely. This can be done the day before.
- Churn your custard following your ice cream maker's instructions or freeze for 2 hours and rebeat. Do this twice then allow to freeze.
- Peel the tamarillos by placing in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove and peel off the skin. Put the tamarillos in a small pot. Add the sugar and water. Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes or until soft and cooked through. Check with a skewer.
- Serve the ice cream in small bowls with a tamarillo in each.
Check out Ray McVinnie's video on 'How to make chocolate shards'