( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Tamara West
If you’re going to cook fried chicken, do it properly with buttermilk marinade and all. Just don’t do it too often.
Chicken and marinade
- Place chicken in a non-reactive dish with the marinade ingredients. Mix well using clean hands, rubbing marinade into chicken. Cover and refrigerate for a day.
- Remove chicken from fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Combine coating ingredients in a clean plastic bag. Place chicken pieces in bag and shake very well to coat.
- Carefully lower chicken pieces, one at a time, into oil at least 8cm deep preheated to 160C in a deep fryer (or use a high-sided saucepan with a cooking thermometer). Cook for about 8-10 minutes until deep golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper towels then serve with mash with onion gravy, and blanched kale sauteed with garlic.