( MAKES 10 )
- Lightly oil a heavy frying pan or griddle. Mix oatmeal, salt and baking soda in a bowl.
- Add butter and enough hot water to make a dough. Dust work surface with a little oatmeal and knead the dough until smooth.
- Cut in half, then roll each out as thinly as possible into rounds.
- Cut each round into quarters, or farls. Transfer to the warm pan and cook for 4 minutes then turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving with chutney and aged cheddar.