Date and orange scones
( MAKES 12 )
These delicious date and orange scones are made using Fairtrade products.
- Heat oven to 210C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped dates with the orange juice and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, until the dates absorb the orange juice. Add the diced orange.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the warm milk to the date and orange mixture, stir to combine then mix quickly into the flour with a spatula. Do not knead.
- Turn out on to a floured bench. Dust the top with flour and pat out to an even rectangle about 2.5cm thick with your hands.
- Cut the mixture into squares or rounds. Place the scones on the prepared tray. Sprinkle with the sugar. Bake for about 20 minutes.