Best ever bacon and egg pie
( SERVES 4 )
I Love Eggs NZ suggests
With eggs in the house you will always have a tasty, quick and healthy meal. Visit eggs.org.nz for more.
- Bacon and egg pie is an easy to make, real kiwi classic. Great for lunches, brunches, dinner or a picnic.
- A 20.5 x 20.5cm cake pan, or a round 23cm metal pie dish is ideal.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Roll out two thirds of the pastry on a floury bench to line a shallow greased 23cm pie tin.
- Scatter over spring onion and half of the bacon, break in the eggs and season with salt and pepper, then scatter on the remaining bacon.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to make a lid.
- Crimp the pastry edges together with your fingers and trim off any excess.
- Use the trimmings to decorate the pie if you wish (attach these with a dab of egg wash).
- Cut four small vents in the pastry lid with a sharp knife.
- Brush with beaten egg mix and bake 35 - 40 minutes until rich golden brown and crispy.
- Serve warm - or cold.