Classic fish tacos
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
|1 cup||Canned black beans, rinsed and drained|
|2||Tomatoes, use ripe and red tomatoes, diced|
|½ clove||Garlic, minced|
|3 Tbsp||Fresh coriander, chopped|
|1 splash||Hot sauce, such as Tabasco or Kaitaia Fire|
|½||Red chilli, small, chopped|
- Lightly mash half of the black beans using the back of a spoon. Stir together all salsa ingredients and adjust seasoning to taste. Set aside.
- To make the flour mix, combine ingredients together. Then lightly dust fish pieces with flour mixture, and shake to remove excess. Place fish pieces on paper-lined plate.
- Heat a ½ cm layer of oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat. When oil is shimmering, gently add each piece of fish and panfry, turning once, for 3-5 minutes until just cooked through. Carefully transfer fish to a fresh paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat tortillas in a dry, preheated cast iron pan or on a grill plate, cooking 30 seconds each side then serving immediately.
- Smear a little avocado down the centre of each tortilla. Cover avocado with some cabbage, then spoon on some salsa. Finally add fish pieces and quickly serve, with lime wedges on the side.