Roast cauliflower soup with chorizo, parsley, almonds and watercress
Photo by Tamara West
Throughout winter I will often make up a big pot of soup, then freeze individual portions of it in zip-lock bags. These make the perfect healthy, convenient winter lunch to take to work. A small mug of homemade soup makes a great healthy instant snack too (there’s no need to buy the processed over-salty instant soup sachets). Here is a soup, full of nutritious ingredients that will satisfy and keep you nourished.
|1 head||Cauliflower, about 1.1-1.2kg, broken into florets|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|½ tsp||Chilli flakes, optional|
|3 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh thyme, leaves, chopped|
|2 cups||Chicken stock|
|200 g||Chorizo sausages, diced|
|⅓ cup||Roasted almonds, roughly chopped|
|⅓ cup||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley, chopped|
|1||Lemon, freshly zested|
|2 tsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 pinch||Sea salt|
|1 squeeze||Lemon juice|
|1 handful||Watercress, to garnish, optional|
- Heat oven to 220C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Toss cauliflower with olive oil, honey and chili flakes in prepared oven tray and season well with salt and pepper. Roast until just golden and tender, about 15 minutes.
- Heat butter in a medium frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook shallots and garlic for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add thyme leaves, chicken stock and milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add roasted cauliflower and blend with a hand blender until smooth. Alternatively, transfer everything to a blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a small drizzle of oil in a fry pan and cook chorizo for about 2 minutes until some of the fat has rendered out and it is starting to go crispy.
- Combine almonds, parsley, lemon zest and extra-virgin olive oil with a pinch of sea salt.
- Divide soup between bowls and scatter over chorizo and almond parsley mixture. Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice over the soup and garnish with watercress if using.