One-pot chicken and pork braise
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tamara West
Serve plenty of bread with this dish to mop up all the sauce and, if you have leftovers, it is even better the next day.
- Heat the oven to 170C.
- Rub olive oil over chicken thighs and pork. Heat a large ovenproof casserole dish (or use a large frying pan to do this initial cooking if your dish is not suitable for stove-top as well), over a medium-high heat and working in batches, brown the chicken and pork on both sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Lower the heat, add the onion and garlic and cook until soft but not coloured. Add the tomato paste and chilli flakes and cook for a further 1 minute. Add the potatoes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and tomatoes in their juice and bring just to the boil.
- Return meat to the casserole with the corn, beans and fresh oregano. Mix to combine (everything should be covered in liquid), cover casserole with its lid and place in the oven for 1¼ hours. Stir halfway through cooking and check seasoning.
- Remove pork from the casserole and take it off the bone before serving.
Make a change
Add 1 tsp dried oregano in with the chilli flakes for extra flavour if wished.