Vogel's bread ice cream sandwich
This recipe was created by Paul Jobin, and is featured on the menu of Vogel's Toast of NZ Cafe.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the brown sugar with the butter.
- In a food processor, whiz the Vogel's bread to coarse crumbs and add to the butter mixture.
- In a pre-heated 160C oven, bake the crumbs for 20 minutes on a parchment lined tray, turning the mixture from time to time until they are toasted and crisp.
- Allow to cool then store in an airtight container.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to the boil with the vanilla paste. Remove from the heat and allow to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a mixing bowl, cream the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until light and pale. Gradually, pour on the hot milk, whisking constantly and cook over a gentle heat, stirring all the time.
- When the custard coats the back of a spoon, add the frangelico and cool. Stir in the cream and churn in a ice cream maker until thick.
- Fold in three quarters of the Vogel's bread crumble at the last moment before freezing in a container overnight.
With a hot ice cream scoop, ball the ice cream onto six meringue wafers, scatter over the remaining Vogel's Crumble, top with a meringue and serve.