Hunter’s chicken with mushroom and tomato
Photo by Doug Sherring
Growing up, one of our favourite dinners Mum made was Chicken Chasseur, of the Maggi variety (no judgment please). In our version of this dish we use chicken thighs and our old friend the anchovy, about whom we have written before, to add his salty richness.
This is such a comforting dish and always makes us feel like we are at home. We eat it with a crusty baguette or creamy mash and a big leafy salad.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil in a large oven-proof saucepan. Season chicken thighs and cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden but not cooked all the way through. remove chicken from pan.
- Add butter to saucepan and cook onion and thyme for about five minutes or until onions have softened. Add the anchovies, garlic and mushrooms and cook together for a further three minutes.
- Add flour and cook for two minutes. Add wine and cook for a further two minutes. Add the stock, tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a gentle simmer. Return chicken to pan and cook until the liquid has reduced by half, about eight minutes.
- Place saucepan in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle over with chopped parsley. Serve with crusty bread or on mash, with a fresh green salad or wilted spinach.