Self-saucing chocolate and Black Doris plum pudding
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Doug Sherring
Our family loves a good pudding and this one has it all, the richness of the chocolate sponge, the tartness of the plums and the decadent sauce that brings it all together. Serve it with some fresh pouring cream and you are in business.
|100 g||Butter, melted|
|4 Tbsp||Cocoa powder|
|4 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ tsp||Vanilla esssence|
|850 g||Black Doris plums, tinned, stones removed and juices reserved|
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Mix together the butter, sugar and cocoa powder. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until only just combined. Stir in milk and vanilla.
- Place the plums into the bottom of a 20 x 25cm baking dish and cover with the pudding mix. Make sure the dessert only comes about two-thirds of the way up the side of the dish as this dessert can overflow.
- Stir together the brown sugar, white sugar, and cocoa powder. Sprinkle over the top.
- Heat the juice from the plums either in the microwave or on the stove top until hot. Just before putting the dish into the oven, carefully pour the hot syrup over the back of a spoon on to the mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Dust with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.