Photo by Tamara West
“Sweet”, says Warren Elwin, “school holiday fun”.
|2½ cups||Caster sugar|
|4 Tbsp||Gelatine, powdered|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract, or orange flower water or rose water|
- Add water and caster sugar to a clean saucepan. Sprinkle with gelatine, place over a low heat and gently swirl the mixture until it dissolves and starts simmering.
- Carefully boil for 10-15 minutes (a sugar thermometer should reach 120C), remove from the heat and cool until it is lukewarm.
- Pour into an electric mixer fitted with a whisk, add vanilla extract (or orange flower water or rose water) and beat until it becomes very thick and white (it's ready when the mixture doesn't fall off the raised whisk).
- Spread into a large baking paper lined pan (approx 20x30cm), smooth off with a spatula, cover and leave to set overnight. You can also spoon rounds of the marshmallow on baking paper to make marshmallow puffs.
- Cut into squares and dust with icing sugar, or have a little sweet fun.