Real egg custard
Photo by Tamara West
A real custard made with egg yolks and cream is truly delicious and really quite easy to do. I add a bit of orange peel to mine to give it a little zing. Be careful when cooking the custard to not let it get too hot. This is when it can split — so use a low heat and stir slowly and constantly until the custard begins to thicken.
- In a saucepan bring the cream, orange peel and vanilla to the boil.
- Whisk the yolks and sugar together in a bowl.
- Pour the hot cream mix on to the yolks and whisk well.
- Return the mix back to the saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to low and gently stir the custard until it begins to thicken. To prevent the custard from splitting you must ensure the heat is low and that you stir constantly.
- The custard is done when it is thick enough to leave a clean mark when you run your finger over the custard on the back of a spatula. Keep warm until needed. This upside-down golden syrup pudding is delicious served with this real egg custard
To see step-by-step instructions click here.