( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
This nasi goreng is a great midweek meal cooked up in no time at all. When cooking the omelette, do not overcook the eggs or they will become tough. You want them to be just set. The saltiness of this dish will come from the soy sauces and shrimp paste, so do not be tempted to add any extra. This is another of those dishes that is great to take for lunch the next day.
|2 Tbsp||Peanut oil|
|4||Eggs, whisked together with 1 tsp soy sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Sunflower oil|
|1||Onion, chopped finely|
|1 stick||Celery, sliced thinly|
|2 cloves||Garlic, sliced thinly|
|1||Carrot, cut into thin sticks|
|1||Red chilli, chopped finely|
|1 tsp||Curry powder|
|1 tsp||Shrimp paste|
|200 g||Chicken breasts, sliced thinly|
|200 g||Prawns, raw|
|2 Tbsp||Sweet soy sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|2 cups||Rice, cooked and cooled|
|2 cups||Chinese cabbage, shredded|
|1||Spring onion, sliced thinly|
|1 cup||Bean sprouts|
|¼ cup||Roasted peanuts, chopped|
|1 bunch||Fresh coriander, to garnish|
|½ cup||Canned pineapple pieces, optional|
- Heat 1 Tbsp of peanut oil in a frying pan. Add whisked eggs and cook on one side, flip and cook on other side. Slide on to a plate and roll like a pancake. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oils in a large frying pan or wok. Add onion, celery, garlic and carrot and cook until softened and lightly browned. Add chilli, curry powder and shrimp paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Push vegetables to one side and toss in chicken and prawns. Cook until cooked through - about 4 minutes. You may need a little extra oil.
- Combine soy sauces and water and pour into the pan. Add rice and toss everything together to coat and heat through.
- Add cabbage and pineapple pieces, if using, and cook until wilted. Slice omelette into rounds and add to heat through.
- Serve immediately topped with spring onions, bean sprouts and peanuts.