Pumpkin and black-eyed bean soup with pistou
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|1½ kgs||Pumpkin, peeled and chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2½ Ltr||Vegetable stock, or chicken stock|
|1 sprig||Fresh thyme|
|1 can||Bean, 400g, black-eyed beans (fagioli all'occhio)|
|¼ cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 cup||Basil leaves, packed (or use half basil, half parsley)|
- Make the pistou by blending the ingredients together in a food processor or mortar and pestle to form a paste, season.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the finely diced onion, chopped garlic, chopped sage leaves and thyme. Stir, then add the pumpkin and leave to brown for a few minutes.
- Pour over the stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans then check for seasoning.
- Serve with a spoonful of pistou and warmed crusty bread.