Coconut rice pudding
Photo by Babiche Martens
Today's rice pudding method is much quicker and I've added a few of my favourite flavours. You can, of course, substitute your own ideas such as using almond milk, folding through fruit, and using agave syrup or brown sugar instead of white. A little grated palm sugar on the top is also delicious. The possibilities are endless.
- Split vanilla pod down centre and scrape out seeds with a small knife.
- Place vanilla pod and seeds, coconut milk, sugar, water, milk and ginger slices in a medium-sized pot. Slowly bring to a simmer.
- Add rice, stirring occasionally, and continue to cook for 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Add a little extra milk if needed.
- Remove from heat and take out ginger slices. Add nutmeg.
- Serve warm with toasted coconut and slices of persimmon.