Mushroom and Merlot soup
There's a nip in the air — it must be the start of the soup season. Nutritious, comforting and easy to consume there are hundreds of soups, like this tasty mushroom and merlot soup.
- Melt half the butter in a large, heavy saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, herbs and seasonings. Add flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook on low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer for 15 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the stock. Simmer for 15 minutes, until reduced by one-third.
- Meanwhile, make a roux by melting the remaining butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour until well incorporated, but not brown. Gradually whisk in the milk. Simmer, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes until thickened.
- Remove a few slices of mushroom from the soup mixture. Place aside for garnishing.
- Using a hand-held blender, purée the soup mixture, until smooth. Whisk in the roux. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish the top of each serving with the reserved sliced mushrooms.
- The top can also be dotted with equal amounts of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. This complements the richness of the soup.