Ripe Deli's autumn harvest brown rice
Photo by Sally Greer at Beatnik Publishing
Stuck for ideas for a nourishing autumn dinner or lunch? Try nutty brown rice, soft-roasted kumara and pumpkin, walnut and feta, topped with a tasty dressing. It's part of a repertoire of healthy treats at Ripe Deli in Auckland, a quiet success that's led to two cookbooks and steady traffic at the deli's Grey Lynn HQ.
This week's recipe was published in Redfern's cookbook Ripe Recipes - A Fresh Batch (Beatnik Publishing, 2013). Enjoy!
|1 cup||Brown rice|
|2||Carrots, peeled and chopped chunk|
|1||Orange kumara, chopped chunky|
|¼||Crown pumpkin, chopped chunky|
|2||Red onions, peeled and chopped chunky|
|2||Oranges, zest and juice of|
|1 Tbsp||Fennel seeds|
|2 Tbsp||Soft brown sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 cup||Walnuts, roughly chopped|
|1 cup||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley, roughly chopped|
|1 cup||Baby spinach|
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a large roasting tray.
- Cook the brown rice.
- Into the large roasting tray, place the carrots, kumara, pumpkin and red onion.
- In a small bowl add the orange zest and juice, fennel seeds, brown sugar, olive oil and salt. Mix well. Pour over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Add the walnuts and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the walnuts are toasted and vegetables are cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To prepare the dressing, place all the ingredients into a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake well.
- Into a large mixing bowl place the roasted vegetables and walnuts, add the rice, feta, parsley and spinach. Drizzle over the dressing, gently toss to mix through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving dish.