Ginger pears with dark chocolate sauce
Photo by Eleanor Ozich
I made this gorgeous and simple dessert using canned pears, a block of Whittaker's Chocolate and a bottle of cream, as this was all I could find at the dairy down the road.
It took all of five minutes to prepare, and tasted absolutely divine.
Luckily, I had a small packet of sliced hazelnuts in the cupboard, which I sprinkled on top for a finishing touch.
- In a medium-size bowl, put the canned pears and a small glug of the juice - just enough to keep the fruit moist. Reserve the rest of the juice for the chocolate sauce.
- To the pears, add the ginger, cinnamon and honey, then toss to combine.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, add a cup of the reserved pear juice to the chocolate pieces. Heat slowly, stirring until melted and lovely. The sauce will be velvety and luxurious. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Put the cream and vanilla bean in a large bowl. Beat with an egg beater until thick and creamy, being careful not to over-whip.
- To serve, divide the pears among bowls, then top with a dollop of cream, a good drizzle of chocolate sauce and sprinkle with the hazelnuts.