Fleurieu olive and cheese bread
Photo by Tamara West
This easy bread that requires no messing with yeast is reminiscent of an Australian damper and I’ve added smoked paprika to give it a hint of smoke, as if it was cooked in the ashes of the open fire.
- Heat oven to 180C. Grease a loaf tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and smoked paprika in to a bowl and mix through olives, cheese, oregano and salt.
- In a separate bowl lightly whisk 2 eggs then whisk in olive oil and buttermilk.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Stir to a smooth batter.
- Spoon in to the loaf tin and sprinkle some extra oregano on top.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in to the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 5 minutes before turning on to a cake rack. Leave to cool before eating.