Brussels sprout, kale and pecan salad
Photo by Tamara West
From a brussels sprout and fontina cheese danish for breakfast in downtown LA, to mashed and baked in a pizza oven in Boston, or even flash fried with ‘fish caramel’ in Austin, the brussels sprout was the humble hipster on Warren Elwin’s recent trip back to the States.
|1 handful||Brussels sprout, ends cut off|
|1 handful||Kale leaves, or cavolo nero leaves, finely shredded|
|1 handful||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley|
- Toss pecans (or other nuts) with some freshly grated black pepper, honey and olive oil.
- Bake in a hot oven until honey caramelises.
- Remove and place on baking paper, sprinkle with sea salt and cool.
- In the food processor blitz anchovies with dijon mustard and the lemon zest and juice until smooth.
- Slowly add olive oil to form a dressing.
- For the brussels sprouts, peel all the outer leaves whole into a salad bowl, then shred and add the rest.
- Add kale or cavolo nero leaves and Italian parsley leaves.
Break the pecans into the greens, and toss well with a generous amount of dressing.
Check out Warren's other brussels sprouts recipes