Photo by Tamara West
Using a fruit puree adds flavour and sweetness. You can use a fruit jam instead, just cut back the quantity of brown sugar. Makes 8.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and, working quickly and lightly, rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre.
- Combine the egg and milk and using a bread and butter knife, stir in the egg and milk using a cutting action until just combined.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured bench and quickly knead together. Roll the dough into a rectangle, 30cm x 20cm. Spread with the fruit puree and scatter over the sultanas. Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over sultanas. Starting at the shortest side, roll up.
- Cut into 8 even pieces and place in the swiss roll tin just touching each other. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Remove fruit scrolls from the oven and place in a clean tea towel. Serve warm with butter.