( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Fiona Anderson
Ribollita keeps well in the fridge and the flavour actually improves with age so make it a couple of days in advance if possible.
- In a heavy-based saucepan heat two thirds of the olive oil over a medium heat and slowly fry the garlic, onions, celery, carrots and half the parsley for 15-20 minutes without allowing to colour until extremely soft.
- Add cavolo nero, half the cannellini beans and just enough water to cover. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Purée remaining beans in a food processor and add to the ribollita along with the ciabatta.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes, add remaining olive oil and chopped parsley and season to taste with a little salt and pepper. The Ribollita should be rich and thick in texture.
- Divide between four bowls and finish with a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serve immediately.