Poached egg moist orange cakes
This unusual gluten-free recipe is based on one from chef Jinu Abraham at Auckland's Heritage Hotel. Makes 12 little cakes.
- Place the orange — with skin on — in a deep saucepan and cover with cold water. Stir in the caster sugar. Slowly bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1½ hours, turning occasionally. Remove from the syrup and cool until able to handle. Cut into quarters and discard any pips.
- Meanwhile, bring a large frying pan of water to a simmer. Add the vinegar. Carefully break in 3 eggs. Poach until just cooked. Cool a little.
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Lightly butter a 12-hole muffin pan, preferably one with straight sides.
- Place the ground almonds, sugar and baking powder into a food processor. Add the orange quarters, the 5 whole eggs and the 3 poached eggs. Blend, until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared muffin holes almost to the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Great served topped with a little mascarpone or whipped cream and sprinkled with finely grated orange rind.