Salted caramel chocolate tarts
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
Salted caramel and chocolate ganache
|120 g||Caster sugar|
|50 g||Butter, diced|
|¼ tsp||Fine salt|
|120 g||Dark chocolate buttons, 70% cocoa solids|
|1 cup||Whipped cream|
|1 Tbsp||Pistachio nuts, peeled|
|8||Edible flowers, such as borage or violas, optional|
|4 sprinkles||Flaky sea salt|
- For sweet pastry, process flour, butter and sugar in a food processor to combine. Add egg and mix until pastry just comes together. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for half an hour to rest. Roll out pastry on floured surface to 4-5mm thick. If making individual tarts, divide dough into 4 and roll each into 13cm-diameter rounds. If making one large tart, roll out dough to a 30cm-diameter round. Line 4 buttered, 9cm-diameter, loose- bottomed tart tins or 1 buttered 24cm- diameter loose-bottomed tart tin, pressing the dough into the edges. Rest in the fridge for half an hour.
- Heat oven to 180C. Line each tart tin with baking paper and rice. Blind bake for 10 minutes, remove paper and rice and bake for a further 6-10 minutes until pastry feels firm to touch. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack, then remove from tin and place on a tray.
- For the salted caramel, cook sugar with 2 Tbsp water in a saucepan over a medium heat until caramel in colour. Add cream and stir until it comes together. Remove from heat then whisk in cold, diced butter. Stir through the salt. Set aside to cool (20-30 minutes).
- For the chocolate ganache, heat the cream to simmering, place chocolate in a metal bowl, pour over cream then whisk until smooth.
- Fill each tart halfway with salted caramel, place in the fridge for half an hour. Fill the remainder of the tarts with chocolate ganache.
- Serve tarts garnished with a scoop of whipped cream, decorate with edible flowers, pistachio nuts and a sprinkling of sea salt flakes.