Lemongrass and coconut chicken on egg noodles
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
Warming bowls of chicken get their unique fragrance from lemongrass. If it is unavailable to you, use the grated zest of 1-2 lemons. Keep lemongrass at hand by growing your own. It’s easy to grow in a sunny garden or a pot. It dies back in winter, growing vigorously in the warmer months.
- Cook the egg noodles according to the packet directions and drain.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium- high heat and brown chicken thighs on each side.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the onion, lemongrass and chilli and cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the coconut milk and fish sauce and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Stir in the sweet stem broccoli or bok choy, cover again and cook for a further 2 minutes or until the greens are just tender.
- Divide the noodles between 4 warmed bowls and spoon over chicken and broccoli or bok choy. Serve with coriander sprigs and lime wedges.