Lemongrass and coconut chicken on egg noodles
Photo by Tamara West
Warming bowls of chicken get their unique fragrance from lemongrass. If it is unavailable to you, use the grated zest of 1-2 lemons. Keep lemongrass at hand by growing your own. It’s easy to grow in a sunny garden or a pot. It dies back in winter, growing vigorously in the warmer months.
- Cook the egg noodles according to the packet directions and drain.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium- high heat and brown chicken thighs on each side.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the onion, lemongrass and chilli and cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add the coconut milk and fish sauce and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Stir in the sweet stem broccoli or bok choy, cover again and cook for a further 2 minutes or until the greens are just tender.
- Divide the noodles between 4 warmed bowls and spoon over chicken and broccoli or bok choy. Serve with coriander sprigs and lime wedges.