Quince upside-down cake
( SERVES 8 )
Wash the quinces well before using.
|1||Lemon, finely grated rind and juice of|
- Place sugar, star anise, cinnamon stick, lemon rind, lemon juice and water in a deep saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring gently.
- Quarter the quinces and peel. Place in syrup as each quarter is prepared. Poach for 20-30 minutes - depending on size and ripeness - until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove quinces to a bowl. Boil liquid for about 15 minutes, until thick and syrupy. Cool a little. Makes about 1½ cups of syrup.
- Line a 21cm square cake pan with baking paper. Slice quinces, discarding cores as you go. Place the slices in rows to cover the base of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Meanwhile, beat butter until creamy. Add caster sugar and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs a little at a time. Sift in flour, salt and mixed spice. Add walnut meal or ground almonds and mix until just combined.
- Pour a ¼ cup of the syrup over quinces then dot with cake mixture. Smooth top with a spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the centres comes out clean.
- Cut cake into squares and drizzle with reserved syrup.
- Excellent served with whipped cream.