Prawn laksa paste
( SERVES 4 )
Malaysian food is the result of a delicious collision of three cultures. Prawn laksa paste is a classic in Malaysian cuisine.
- Put all the paste ingredients into a food processor or spice grinder and blitz until a paste forms. (Even better, pound everything in a mortar with the pestle.)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and when hot, add the paste. Fry for a minute or two over a medium heat until it becomes fragrant. Do not allow it to darken.
- Add the coconut cream and stock and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, then add a little water if it has reduced at all.
- Season with the fish sauce and lime juice, adding salt if necessary. Add the prawns and simmer for a further minute until cooked.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in boiling water until soft. Heat 4 laksa bowls, and divide the noodles between them.