Photo by Tamara West
Croquettes are a yummy and family-friendly way to pop some legumes into the week and help keep the bad cholesterol at bay. This recipe makes 12 croquettes.
- Place chickpeas in a food processor and process until mashed (alternatively mash by hand). Add spring onions, garlic, chilli parsley, spices, salt and egg yolks. Process until just combined.
- Shape mixture into 12 small croquettes and if time allows, chill for 30 minutes to firm up mixture.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and pour in enough oil to coat the base.
- Lightly whisk the egg whites, then roll croquettes in the egg white and then the breadcrumbs.
- Place in the hot oil and cook rolling onto each side until brown and crisp and hot in the centre. If you prefer not to pan-fry the croquettes then place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, spray with olive oil spray or drizzle with oil and cook in the oven at 160C for 20-25 minutes until hot.
- Pop these croquettes into warmed pita bread with lots of prepared salad ingredients and grate a little cucumber into thick unsweetened yoghurt for an easy sauce.