Kokako's Asian couscous salad
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Ted Baghurst
Take summer's eggplant, add autumn's plump pumpkin and mix with a tasty dressing in this light-yet-filling recipe from Grey Lynn café Kokako.
The café's menu changes with the seasons, offering brunch and lunch treats alongside fresh salads and baking. The coffee is roasted on-site and comes hot from the espresso machine, cold-brewed or chilled.
In this salad, shared with Element by Kokako's sous chef Kentaro Kurihara, locally-grown roots and greens are used to best effect.
Prepare salad ingredients
- Tip couscous into a large bowl, pour over boiling water. Cover, then leave for 10 mins until fluffy and all the water is absorbed.
- Roast diced pumpkin and eggplant separately.
- Boil carrot until tender.
- Spread sunflower seeds on a baking sheet and bake at 180C, stirring occasionally until golden-brown (5-10 minutes).
- Put all ingredients except canola oil into a food processor and blend together.
- With the motor running, add canola oil in a thin, steady stream until the mixture emulsifies and thickens.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble and serve
- Place all vegetables in a bowl and pour the dressing, toss gently. Taste and season if needed. Sprinkle over herbs to garnish.