Banana bread and poached apples
Photo by Michael Craig
Move away from the meat and three vege formula and avoid shopping in expensive areas. Make the most of farmers' markets, orchards and vegetable growers. And try to grow your own food and swap with your neighbours.
- Make the banana bread as per the packet's instructions, adding the mashed bananas and cashews. (Keep a few cashews to sprinkle on top before baking.)
- Core and quarter the apples. Sprinkle with lemon juice to stop apples going brown.
- In a pot, add honey, lemon zest and enough cold water to cover the apples.
- Add apples and simmer until soft.
- Remove from the liquid and continue to boil the liquid until it reduces (becomes thicker). Pour back over the apples.
- To serve, cut a chunky slice of loaf, add some poached apples and 2 Tbsp of syrup. Add yoghurt, cream or ice cream.