Hot cross buns benny
( SERVES 4 )
An Easter take on a favourite weekend brunch. Use plain hot cross buns, not ones with chocolate.
- Place the egg yolks, lemon juice and salt into a blender. With the motor running, pour the warm melted butter into the blender in a thin stream.
- Keep the sauce warm by standing the blender in a bowl of warm water. Alternatively, store the sauce in a warmed vacuum flask. Makes about 1 cup.
- Poach the eggs in water, until just set. (Add a little vinegar to help them set, if preferred.) Blanch the spinach, drain well and toss with the maple syrup.
- Microwave the bacon until crisp, about 4 minutes. Halve 4 hot cross buns and lightly toast or grill.
- Place the spinach on the bun bases, top each with a rasher of bacon, an egg, hollandaise sauce and the remaining bacon. Place the bun tops on the side.