Individual plum and almond tarts
Photo by Babiche Martens
There is nothing more delicious - or pretty - than a good fruit tart, especially with an almond mixture on the base for extra flavour. Individual tarts make serving easy or are perfect to take to a party or picnic. Don't forget the dollop of cream or Greek yoghurt. I've used plum for the tarts today, but they are also delicious with peaches, feijoas or slices of pear. You can sprinkle them with a few nuts if you desire. Makes 8
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- In a small bowl whisk egg whites lightly with a fork. Add sugar, ground almonds and essence. Mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Cut 16 x 9cm circles from the pastry. With a 6cm cutter remove the centre from 8 of the circles. Place outer part of the circle on top of the remaining 8, to form a border.
- Place a tablespoon of almond mix into centre of each pastry and flatten roughly with the back of a spoon.
- Cut each plum half into three, then place on to the top of the almond mix.
- Brush outer edge with a little egg. Place in oven for 15 minutes until pastry is risen and golden. Remove and cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve with lightly whipped cream.