Grilled sausage, quick pickled cabbage and mustard
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
This is a Classic Swiss/German street food.
- Heat a ridged grill pan to medium heat for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss cabbage and onion with salt and leave in a colander for 5 minutes, then rinse gently under cold water and shake dry. Place cabbage and onion in a bowl and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Stir vinegar and sugar together until sugar has all dissolved. Pour over vegetables and stir gently to combine.
- Split sausages lengthwise, almost all the way through, and open out (like a book). Place cut side down on hot grill and cook for about 4 minutes before turning, then cook for a further 2-4 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve each sausage with some pickled cabbage and a spoonful of mustard, with a slice of buttered brown bread on the side.