The eggplant is firmly established in numerous other international cuisines: in Greek Moussaka; in the eastern Mediterranean Baba Ghanoush (pronounced 'baba ganoosh'); in French ratatouille; and Indian curries and pickles. Enjoy. Makes about 2 cups.
- Pierce the eggplants with a skewer in 3-4 places.
- Place the eggplants on a microwave rack and cover with a paper towel — cook for about 4 minutes on high (100%) power, turn them over and continue cooking for another 4 minutes or until soft.
- Stand the eggplants until cool enough to handle. Halve and carefully remove all the flesh. Mash the eggplant flesh well. Cool slightly.
- Add the combined tahini and lemon juice then the garlic, shallots, parsley, mint, salt and pepper. Place in a small bowl and drizzle with the oil.
- Serve as a starter with triangles of warmed and toasted pita bread or French bread.