Peaches and cream cake
( SERVES 8 )
Ripe nectarines, plums or apricots could be substituted for the peaches.
|4||Peaches, medium, ripe, peeled, stoned and sliced|
|2 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
|2 Tbsp||Water, combined with 1/4 tsp Vitamin C powder|
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly grease a 22cm-23cm cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Place the peaches in a bowl. Sprinkle with the lemon juice or vitamin C mixture to prevent browning.
- Beat the butter and sugar, until creamy. Slowly beat in the eggs until well combined then the sour cream and vanilla.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Slowly beat into the butter mixture.
- Combine the caster sugar and cinnamon.
- Spoon half the cake mixture into the prepared cake pan. Drain the peaches and arrange half the slices over the top. Sprinkle with about 1/3 of the cinnamon sugar. Cover with the remaining cake mixture. Arrange the remaining peaches on top and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar. Bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Best served warm with whipped cream or yoghurt.