Gluten-free chocolate cake
Photo by Thinkstock
Flowers make a pretty and fresh garnish for this gluten-free chocolate cake.
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|3||Eggs, large, separated|
|200 g||Dark chocolate, grated|
|½ cup||Ground almonds|
|1 cup||Gluten-free flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|¼ cup||Dark chocolate cocoa|
- Set oven to 180C. Lightly grease and line the base of a 5-cup, non-stick ring pan, about 21cm in diameter.
- Beat butter and caster sugar, until creamy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in chocolate and ground almonds.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa. Fold into butter mixture alternately with milk.
- In a clean bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Stir 3-4 tablespoons into batter then gently fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes then turn out on to a wire rack.
- To prepare the topping, beat butter and icing sugar, until creamy. Beat in melted chocolate. Stir well. Spread over cake.