Photo by Tamara West
Though you have to bake the eggplant and capsicum first before cooking everything together in one dish, baking paper ensures there’s no extra effort with clean up — so I’m still counting this as a one-dish meal. It’s a great vegetarian dish that keeps well for the next day too.
- Heat oven to 200C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Arrange eggplant and capsicum slices in a single layer on top. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until eggplant slices are soft and lightly browned.
- Mix tomato sauce with garlic and oregano and spread 4 tablespoons in a large baking dish. Top with one layer of cooked eggplant and capsicum slices. Spread over ¾ cup of tomato sauce and sprinkle over one third of the mozzarella.
- Repeat with remaining eggplant, capsicum, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese together and sprinkle over the top. Drizzle with more olive oil and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden on top.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve with a simple rocket, pear and parmesan salad, dressed with balsamic, and extra virgin olive oil on the side.