Brioche are very versatile and can be enjoyed with coffee and jam for breakfast or served as rich dinner rolls. Makes 8-10 brioche.
Bread machine instructions
- Carefully measure all the ingredients into a 750g capacity bread machine in the order specified by the manufacturer.
- Set to the DOUGH cycle, and start.
- Check the dough after about 3 minutes of mixing. It should be soft, but if it looks too wet and sticky add 2 tablespoons of the extra flour (repeat if necessary).
- When the dough cycle is complete, remove the dough from the machine and transfer to a well-oiled bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or overnight), then shape and bake as follows.
To shape and bake
- Turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into four or five pieces, then halve each to give a total of eight or 10 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball, then with the side of your hand almost saw off a quarter of the dough. Pick up each ball by the smaller part and place in a well-oiled muffin pan or fluted brioche pan.
- Press the smaller ball firmly on to the base so that each one looks like a small snowman.
- Leave to rise in a warm draught-free place for about 1 hour or until the dough is approximately double in size.
- Brush with egg glaze and bake at 180C for about 15 minutes or until golden brown on all surfaces.